Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Weekend Project, Part I


Okay, so I thought of posting a My Weekend Project every Monday to help motivate me to create more...The only problem is 1)  It's Tuesday...and 2)  This project is actually from a couple weekends ago.  Oh well, it's a start.  Hopefully later today I will post Part II, which will include what I actually created this weekend.


I never really saw the point of making pillowcases before, honestly.  But this last December when I was so homesick for family and Christmas in Montana, I discovered some flannel snowmen pillocases* that my mom had made for me a few years back.  Putting them on the bed made me feel so homey and festive and loved.  I don't know if making my own pillowcases have quite that effect (especially since Mac mildly hates them), but I really enjoyed the process and was pleased with how they turned out.  I used the Perfect Pillow Case tutorial from Stop Staring and Start Sewing, only I made my border (yellow) 2 inches wider (12"), which made the body (blue) 2 inches shorter (23").

Yeah, they're a little bit more Holly Hobbie-ish than my usual style...but there's also something comforting about that (maybe because my oldest sister used to make me and my middle sister Holly Hobbie art for Christmas presents).  There's also something kind of happy-sweet-silly-eccentric-English-lady about tossing floral prints wherever you want (perhaps this explains my strange addiction to cotton prints??). 

Mac's main reason for not liking them (or the one that he'll admit to, anyway), is that they don't really match** the rest of our "decor".  I'm putting quotation marks around the word decor because we haven't really done much that can be considered decorating...as you can see by the writing on the wall.



Hope you enjoyed the first of the My Weekend Project posts!  I'm really excited and hopeful about creating more this year.  I have linked the title of this post directly to the tutorial--I will try to do that every time I use a tutorial for a project so you have an easy reference.

*  Back then I wondered what I would do with 2 pillowcases!  I guess my mom was psychic.
**  It is truly a mystery to me when guys started caring about these things...I know I'm not the only one with a husband with a strong sense of style and equally strong opinions.  Ah well...at least he has good taste!

2 comments:

  1. You have inspired me to make some pillowcases of my own. Though I probably won't get to it for a couple of weeks. Wanna do some curtains so I can get inspired to do those too?

    My husband has some pretty strong opinions about decorating too. It took me almost 10 years to talk him into roosters in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, glad to know I'm not alone! It could be a while before I make any curtains, but if I come across any inspiration...I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete